Friday, February 18, 2011

Orchids


I bought two beautiful bundles of orchids today.   The flower shop is located on the sidewalk, next to a park where kids play cricket and soccer. The store is simply one line of ten gallon buckets, each brimming with flowers.  They probably have five or six types of flowers, all quite lovely.   The buckets are manned by two gentlemen, one of whom was sitting  directly on the sidewalk trimming flowers and laying them on newspaper. 
The very first bucket in line contained the orchids I purchased.  I wouldn’t buy them in the US, because they are dyed blue, and for the most part, we eschew such things in the States. We like our flowers natural.  But I figured, in India, the more garish the better.  It is the land of color.  Plus, they are amazing to look at, and match my furniture.  
The gentleman wrapped the bundle of flowers in clear plastic with a printed white heart pattern, just like it would be wrapped in the States.  I handed over the money, and the gentleman trimming flowers handed me a beautiful, full-blown yellow rose.  Yellow just happens to be my favorite color.  It smelled wonderful. 
I, of course, am terrible at negotiating, so it did lead to troubles.  I bought two bundles, for a total of 20 stems (each stem with many buds and flowers) for 500 rupees, or $11.  I was very pleased with this price, since potted orchids in the States would cost more than that for even one stem.  
My driver, on the other hand, was very displeased.  He started arguing in rapid Hindi or Marathi, and eventually the men handed him a 100 rupee note.  Apparently, I paid too much for the already incredibly cheap flowers. At least I got to keep the bonus rose.
I meekly handed my driver the yellow rose and told him to give it to his wife.  I hope she likes it.  It was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment