Sunday, March 13, 2011

Airport Grumps

I dislike flying in general.  

In third grade, our teacher would annually hold a paper airplane contest.  The person who made the best flying airplane had the honor of taking a flight in her private airplane.   I purposely made a lousy paper airplane. I was afraid to fly....  Of course, my brave sister flew with her constantly!

I am no longer afraid to fly, but I still dislike it.  It probably has to do with that sea sickness/air sickness/car sickness that I am so prone to succumb to.  So I am automatically not in the best frame of mind whenever I am required to travel.  Unless I am walking.  Them I am quite happy.  Except here, of course, where I am stared at like an exotic creature and sweat drips off your body at a previously unheard of rate.  But in general, walking is my preferred mode of transport. 

I am sitting at the airport today, waiting for my flight, and silently yelling at a man.  Yes, it finally happened.  A man (rather than a pushy woman) cut in front of me.   It was very obvious, too, because it was at a food stand, complete with the red ropes to separate the line.  He?  He saw the long line, and decided to bypass it and walk straight past the counter, through the 'pick up here' section, and walk in front of me to the 'pay here' front of the line.   When the person in front of me finished, I very dramatically pushed past him, and dropped my single bottle of water (loudly) on the counter.  I looked him straight in the eyes, and said, "There is a line." He started some pathetic attempt of, "did I not say you could go first?  Am I not chivalrous?" (well, he didn't say the second part exactly like that, but it was what he was implying.  And no, he did not 'say' I could go first.  I pushed my way in front of him).  I rolled my eyes, and said something to the effect that there are a lot of people behind me, still, even if he isn't cutting in front of me.  I wasn't worried about him cutting in front of me.  I had already pushed my way there.  But I was concerned about the people behind me.  I did my best to block him when I left, but to no avail.  He cut in front of the other people.

I am definitely going to get into a shouting or fist fight before I leave this country  I just can't take the rudeness. 

1 comment:

  1. Good job Emily! You could do with a bit of rudeness lesson. Maybe this is why you are in India.

    ReplyDelete