Sunday, May 15, 2011

FAFFD: April 10


There were only four of us left: Sister, FBIL, my husband, and myself.  We had a day full of adventures waiting for us on Sunday, April 10th.  My husband left to play frisbee (or work, I can’t remember which), while the rest of us decided to visit Elephanta IslandYou might remember that I had already been there a week before, with Fez, Mom, Auntie, and my driver.
It wasn’t necessarily the number one place I wanted to go to, since I’d been there so recently, but I love walking, and I hadn’t been sick on the boat ride to the island, so I was perfectly fine going again.   My body, however, had different plans.
The day before I had been sick, and taken two strong antibiotics to kill whatever was inside of me.  I had felt fine by the afternoon, and thought the sickness was over, but I was wrong.   I woke the next day, early, to get ready for the hour drive to the island.  I ate a delicious bowl of raisin, maple, and date oatmeal, brought all the way from America, courtesy of Sister, but the oatmeal didn’t quite make it all the way down.  I tried to brush my teeth, but that was a mistake.  Toothbrush in one hand, my hair in the other, I had a lovely morning with the bathroom.   Honestly, though, my stomach felt so bad even trying to eat it, it tasted better going up than down.
Once again, I had to vote myself out of the daily activities.  I felt awful- sending Sister and FBIL to a busy, confusing gate and boat to get on the island, not knowing a word of Hindi or the world of Mumbai.  But at least they were both smart people.   And I’m pretty sure my sister has an internal GPS in her body.   So I felt better sending them, than say, Mom, who has a tendency to talk to creepy strangers and give all of her money away.  (But I still love you, Mom!)
Now, my driver is a bit impatient with history tourism, and I don’t believe he really enjoyed Elephanta Island too much the first time around, but he sure is loyal.   Because as soon as he found out I wasn’t attending, he called and asked permission to go with Sister and FBIL to the island again (rather than wait in the car, which is standard driver behavior).   I gratefully said yes, and went back positioning my belly and check against the cold floor.  
I was very happy he asked to do it, and I think the three of them had a good time.  After the island, they retraced our trip of a week before and walked through Colaba Causeway, though they didn’t stop to buy anything.  
I, on the other hand, was still in the bathroom, pjs on, having not eaten (nor successfully kept water down) all day.   Curiously enough, I learned that you start to produce a neon green substance after several hours and nothing food-like left in your belly.   So I guess it is true that you learn something new every day!  
My thought is my illness was from the antibiotics.   I don’t do well with drugs.  I can’t even take multivitamins-I get a terrible stomachache, and have, on an empty stomach, gotten sick and thrown those up as well.  I just hoped that Auntie (who was still on the plane with Mom, and had been sick the day before, like me) was faring better.   It is one thing to be sick in your own home; it is quite another to be sick on a 15 hour flight.  
Fortunately, I heard later that, despite feeling a bit ill, she was perfectly fine.  
Deciding to entirely repeat Mom, Auntie, and Fez’s adventures, we rented (again!) the movie 3 idiots for Sister and FBIL to watch.   My mind is a bit hazy, but I vaguely feel like we sat, watched the movie, and ate leftovers for the evening.   
The day before my cook had made a new dish, as per Sister’s request.  Chicken vindaloo.  It was delicious!   We all enjoyed it, and it has since entered our family food list.  My husband and I are quite boring, and only eat a few dishes: smoked eggplant, palak paneer, massaman curry, muttar paneer (only for me, though), and now, chicken vindaloo.   My poor cook must be so bored with our palate.   Even the grocery store guy teases her when she calls and asks for yet another eggplant. 
I think we were all worn out, and we went to bed.  It was Sister and FBIL’s last night in Mumbai, but they still had a semi-action packed morning and afternoon planned for the next day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment