Monday, January 17, 2011

Back in the Guest House

It makes me so incredibly happy to be back in the guest house!  It is a bright, happy room, with the nice cold marble floors that make your feet feel so good when the air is warm.  PLUS I no longer have to make toast by balancing a slice of bread on a  knife and roasting it over an open flame....  not to mention the much better television...  and no band waking us up at the crack of dawn...and, of course, I have even heard that the best ice cream shop in town is right next door... I'll have to check that out this evening!

The guest house has another couple staying at it, too.  They have an adorable little boy who's greatest fascination in life is staring at the pigeons, so that is pretty cute to watch.  I personally loved to watch the pigeons in Chicago, so I'm not too surprised by his obsession.  My all-time favorite pigeon was the one that stubbornly stayed right in the middle of Randolph/Michigan Ave intersection to snack on what must have been a delightful little pile of vomit.  There were cars flying all around it, but it was completely oblivious to them.

Today, rather than observing, I am going to teach in my classroom.  I hope the students understand my accent okay.  We are going to learn how to make predictions and take averages.  I predict it will go quite splendidly.  I will start full time in February (when we move into our permanent apartment, which is much closer to the school) and they are going to become pen pals with my mom's students!  So that will be fun.

I went to my husband's office today.  They had very graciously loaned me a computer with (the Indian equivalent of) a sprint card, so I could use the Internet.  But we are now in the guest house, which has an ethernet cord, so I was returning the computer. And asking for help mailing Carrie's b-day card.   I met my husbands's executive assistant, who seemed quite nice.  And the office has a party once a month or so, where it sounds like we play games or do other fun things, so that will be fun to go to (I've been trying to stop ending sentences in prepositions, as I am teaching English, but it is difficult).  The office smelled like paint today, though.  I don't quite understand why the odor changes constantly, but I guess I could make it a game to see what the flavor of the day is next time I am there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment